The Frugal Canadian

A frugal spender seeks to find new ways to save money and increase her net worth.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

January Update

It was a good frugal month for me. I achieved a savings rate of 50%.

I'm displaying YTD numbers based on when I started my blog(October 2005) rather than a calendar basis. This way I can easily track my 25K challenge.

Food savings were my biggest achievement this month. I really made an effort to use my groceries that I bought before they reached the expiration date. It was tough at times resisting the urge to go and pick up some groceries when I wasn't in the mood for ingredients on hand but with a little bit of creativity I made it through the month with great savings and some pretty good meals.

Included in my gas costs is an oil change and some other air filter that Mr. Lube sold me. I need to learn more about cars so I don't get scammed every time I go to the auto shop.

Entertainment costs were also high. There were quite a few nights out with friends that I couldn't connect with over the holidays. Damn $7 martinis!

This month I have to call Rogers and reduce my cable and phone services. I just got a notice that my rates are going up $6. I'm already on their VIP bundle package and get another 10% off on my phone services with them, but the total bill is getting out of hand. Looks like I'll be missing the upcoming season of the Sopranos.

3 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try to change the air filter yourself. It is as simple as removing 2 or 3 screws, taking out the old filter and putting in a new filter. You can save around $10 every other oil change. I don't know much about cars either and if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Frugal Canadian said...

Thanks. I definitely think I'll attempt this next time. I saw exactly what he did after I agreed to it and instantly new I had wasted my money

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the exact same boat with Rogers. I already pay something like $120 a month (includes my Internet and TMN), but this is starting to get out of hand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home