The Frugal Canadian

A frugal spender seeks to find new ways to save money and increase her net worth.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Our Not so Frugal Valentine's Day Dinner

My Valentine and I went out for a lavish dinner last night. Neither of us have never spent a lot of money on Valentine's Day. Over the past few years we have probably spent no more than $20 on each other. This year was a little different.

Months ago, I recieved a $150 gift certificate for a swanky restaurant downtown from a couple of close friends as a birthday gift. At the time I found the gift wildly inappropriate. I had already found that birthday gifts were getting out of hand, and this was a step in the wrong direction. I put the gift certificate aside and figured we'd save it for a special occassion.

We used the gift certificate last night. We had 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, a bottle of wine, and 2 decadent desserts. I had also used a coupon from Toronto Life where you buy one entree, and get a free dessert. The bill came to $150 and we also had to shell out our own own money to cover the tip. The dinner was phenemonal, but it was absolutely outrageous. We spent my entire grocery budget for the month on one dinner! Thankfully only $30 came out of our pocket. We easily could have gone to the pub down the street and had just as nice of an evening. This spending will come out of my entertainment budget this month.

I hope you all are able to have a nice simple frugal Valentine's Day. It doesn't take a lot of money to let your loved ones know that you care. Don't give in to this commercialized day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home