The Frugal Canadian

A frugal spender seeks to find new ways to save money and increase her net worth.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Tax Software for Macs

Up until 2007 there have been very few options for Mac users wanting to file their tax returns electronically. Users could use web-based programs such as U-file and QuickTabWeb but there haven't been many downloadable options.

I switched to a Mac late in 2007 and was wondering what I would do during tax time. I happily made the switch to a Mac and have had no need for Windows programs up until now. For the past few years I have used the Windows version of TaxFreeway which I have been quite happy with. Much to my surprise they have come out with a version for the Mac! While the windows version is $9.95 for up to 20 netfiled returns, the Mac version is $14.95(for a limited time before it increasing to $19,95). While I'm unhappy about the higher price, I test-drove the Mac version on the weekend and once again it meets my needs. I was happy to see that I could carryfoward information from my 2006 Windows version into the Mac version so I did not have to re-enter all this information. For most people, I think TaxFreeway is an excellent choice. While it may not have as many bells and whistles as QuickTax, it definitely gets the job done at a very affordable price.

Another program available for Macs is TaxTron. It is a little pricier especially if you have a need for multiple returns. The price range from $19.99 - $39.99. You can also download a version for free to try it out.

For a complete list of your tax filing options, see Canada Revenue Agency's site. While many tax providers are already claiming that are Netfile certified for 2007, CRA doesn't officially certify providers until the end of January.

Happy tax filing!

2 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_tax_preparation_software_for_personal_use

All the options are found on this site. In fact CRA certified 4 products today. I suspect the others will follow within the next week or so.

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on a Mac too, and I use Intuit's Quicktax online edition (http://quicktax.intuit.ca/). It's online, so you can use it on any computer. You can even work on your file from different computers.
They even waive the fee for lower income people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home