The Frugal Canadian

A frugal spender seeks to find new ways to save money and increase her net worth.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

September Net Worth & Savings Update


First off - Sorry I've so late with my posting and responding to comments. For the next 6 weeks, things aren't going to get much better but I'll do my best to get back up to date.

September was not a good month for me as I acheived a savings rate of only 36% on the month. High entertainment costs mainly due to upfront sports registration fees and a lot of going out with friends led to entertainment expenses of $750!

Luckily I had a good month with investment returns adding $1100 to my net worth. These are all paper profits.

My income includes $500 of poker profits which I cashed out of my online sites. These are all realized profits which will not be put into back into the poker sites. I have an additional $700 on poker sites which is excluded from my net worth.

I opted to invest 7K into a TD money market fund for the short term fund which is yielding 3.6% . I was sitting on this cash in my self-directed RRSP and therefore couldn't use my PC financial account for these funds(since withdrawing them would trigger an income inclusion). Also, I wanted to steer away from any other external mutual funds that have redemption fees attached to them. While the rate is pretty poor it's better than the low interest that I was earning in my discount brokerage account.

Over the next month or so, I'll be changing this monthly post to more of an expanded Net Worth report. I will still disclose my savings rate, but as my expenses are pretty constant from month to month
, I feel that there will be more relevant and interesting information disclosed from a Net Worth perspective. I'll also at some point be consolidating results with my very soon husband to be. This will probably take me a few months to get our financial positions fully integrated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home